Monday, June 9, 2008

everybody's working for the weekend

weekends are a time that most people look forward to. i am one of them. i know, i know... i'm home all the damn time so why would the weekend be any different. well, i'll tell you. it will sound dumb but it's cause Himself is here too. i know, i just threw up in my mouth a little, too. on the weekends, we usually have the time to do something for each other. this weekend was no exception. it started fairly normally for us. i walked the dogs and started the coffee and proceeded to finish some bunny slippers which i was working on (i finished them last night and they came out looking pretty cute, if i do say so myself). then, i took the dogs to the dog park where they seemed to really enjoy themselves. later that day though, Himself and i went to the beach (which we do every weekend since it's free and gets us out of the house). only this time we took a surfboard. see, my stupid upstairs neighbor (who asked me to watch his dogs for 5 days and was late getting home and never thanked nor paid me nor nothing) moved and left his surfboard so i took it.

you know when you get this idea in your head and it always plays out better in you head than it does in real life. yeah... that's me and surfing. i had it in my head that i would hop on that surfboard and be like some kind of prodigy. as you can see above... i'm not. it would have been the single most humiliating moment in my life, had i not been having so much fun. i was exceptionally terrible. first i couldn't get on the damn board. then once i did get on it, i kept slipping off it. then, once i finally found my balance a wave would sneak up on me and knock me over. i never did get the hang of it and i tried for most of the afternoon. Himself was no help either. all he did was photograph my sad attempts and periodically yell out, "look out! there's a shark coming!" all the while, he laughed like a hyena.

so. needless to say... my career as a professional surfer was over before it ever started. that night, i felt like i had been beaten up and i slept hard. sunday dawned and it was morning business as usual. i got up, walked the dogs and started the coffee. we were going to go to the park but i wasn't feeling like it. i still felt like i had been in battle with the ocean and i wanted to rest. so Himself and i did some shopping at home depot and goofed around all morning. that afternoon, we went and saw kung fu panda, which was very funny. but as funny as the movie was... nothing compared to the mini-show that took place a couple of seats down from us. anytime you go to a kid's movie during the day, you run the risk of having the worst time ever, because the damn kids won't shut the hell up. this time wasn't so bad. the kids were pretty good. now. the movie is reaching the emotional climax, when i choose to look at my husband. just past him, some dopey kid was sitting in his seat on his knees. you know how folding seats will fold back up if there is too much weight in the back and not enough in the front? yeah, well, i witnessed this kid's lesson in weight leverage. the seat folded up on him and he fell forward and out on to the floor with a thunk. he wasn't hurt... just got back up and sat down correctly. meanwhile... Himself and i laughed until i got a headache and was seeing stars. but it was that snake laugh, you know... ssss ssssss sssssss sss sssss ssssss, we didn't want to disturb anyone. the dad of the kid gave me the stink eye as he and the kid were leaving. i just laughed. hey, i can't help it if your kid is an idiot. god. i love the weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your story was more enjoyable the second time. I love the way you describe stuff. Anyway, I love the picture of you surfing, it kind of reminds me of the time that I tried to snowboard. I was black and blue the next day and I could barely walk, but hey at least I tried and so did you. You are an extremely funny girl and I love how adventurous you are. Keep it up and never change.

Bear