Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Cats! I'm Gonna Purr Forever...

Well. monday night was quite possibly the biggest travesty in my auditioning career. and i have had some real doozies! Like the time that i auditioned for "Into the Woods" and the musical director didn't like the song that i had picked out to sing. she complained that it didn't show off my range. i explained that it did show off my acting and she just scoffed at me. she then proceeded to give me the wrong starting pitch twice. in a tearful voice a pleaded with her to just give me my starting note. once into the song, i nailed it, as usual. i like the song i had chosen and had used it from many auditions and have always done very well with it. then the musical director complained again that the song didn't show my vocal range so asked me to sing some scales, which she played completely randomly. i was so frazzled when i came out of that audition, all i could do is cry. and i was between shows on my double so that meant i had to reapply my makeup for the evening performance. needless to say... i was not cast in "Woods".

back to Cats.

i love the show. i have seen it a 3 different times. the first time was the national tour at the Dallas Music Hall. Grizabella forgot the lyrics to "Memory". how ironic. to forget the lyrics to a song called memory and the simple fact that it is one of the only songs that anyone knows. i have also seen it on Broadway at the Winter Garden. that was fun. there was a lady in the audience that insisted on petting one of the actors that was in the audience. he finally had to say "please don't touch my costume". i laughed at the lady. she was like, "oh, i'm so sorry. i keep forgetting that you are actors." dumb woman. the final time that i was able to see the show, was when i going to school in London. my friend matt was in the cast, and i was able to score tickets for the final performance. my seats were on the stage bit that revolves with the set. at one point his blocking was to sit right in front of me. it was very cool as i could bearly recognize him in all the makeup. so i like the show. i know that some people hate it and i could care less, because i like it.

now. i am no dancer. i like to pretend that i can dance but in all actuality, i dance like a big old hot mess on wheels, as my roommate from college can attest. i dance like my dad. and he dances like elaine from seinfeld. and in the words of jerry, "it's like a full-body dry heave set to music." i have taken some dance classes. i did a whole year of it my freshman year of high school and i also took a class in university. i have had some intro to ballet, jazz and tap. i also like to watch Fosse and All That Jazz. but that is about all i know about dance. but i am trainable. and a hard worker. so i get to the auditions (after being sick all day with a sinus infection) and we start part of the dance audition. after an hour of (painful) dance we take a break. there were plie's and jumps and a lot of cat movements. i liked it but it was rather difficult for me. but i did my best and laughed at the whole thing. then came the singing. the accompanist gave a lovely flourish instead of the starting pitch that i asked for and i (stupidly) picked the wrong note to start. i was singing my song a full octive higher than it was written. but since i couldn't hear the piano anyway, i just plunged on. then i was asked to do some tap dance step. i didn't know how and the director settled on seeing what i could do in tap, which isn't much. after everyone sang, we started the second dance portion. it was easier for me and had lots of high kicks, which i can do in spades. i was so excited when i nailed it during the group dance that i was jumping up and down. of course i became fumble feet during my actual audition part but i smiled and was energetic. and i had fun. some of my theatre friends were there as well and we all had a good laugh.

i don't have any high hopes of being cast. i will be lucky if i get a call back. if i do i know that i can impress the director (whom is a friend). but i am sure that i will not be one of the cats. i might still have a shot a Grizabella but more than likely i will just be a backstage singer. oh well. i get 'em next time. meow.

No comments: