Wednesday, April 23, 2008

what do you want me to do, dress in drag and do the hula?

so. whist i was on my honeymoon, there was a (dare i say) phenominon that was occuring all around me. there were hundreds, hundreds of little girls that were running around with thier hair pulled into cute little up-dos, most in princess costumes and all covered in glitter. to say that i was jealous would be putting it mildly. i asked several women who had daughters gussied up, where thier girls had gone to get princessed and if they thought that a grown up could do it to. turns out that disney has a little 'ole spa geared specifically to little girls. it's called the Bibbiti Bobbiti Boutique. for the right price, your little princess could be transformed into her favorite princess. they can have thier hair, make up, nails, and wardrobe done. complete with fairy dust. how much did i want to do all that. so much. stupid toddlers and their stupid glitter. anyway... to say that i like dressing up in funny costumes and prancing around like a fool would be like saying that the pope kinda likes to pray and hang out with jesus people. the best thing about my job as an artist model is that i get to live out my desires to release my inner drag queen. in the past, i have been know to wear various mixing bowls as hats (a fine photo that my mom loves to show at any given time). every halloween, i try to outdo myself and i hate to wear the same costume more than once. i have been a fairy, a unicorn, the bride of frankenstine and a she devil. on stage, i have worn some great costumes. the bigger, shinier and elaborate... the better. i have even had a fab costume made for my art classes. below are just a few pictures of me in some of my favorite costumes
my buddy, wyllym, made this gorgouse marie anntoinette dress for me. the whole thing was built in branson, mo while i was cooling my heels in florida. it is so popular with the art students that for 3 weeks after premiring the dress, every professor asked me to wear it in thier classes. the wig is one that i bought on ebay.
this little gem was made for the Ringling College of Art and Design's fund raiser. the theme was television. so of course i had to go as the NBC peacock. it was a big hit with everyone. i made this one myself. the tail is a fan from a chines resturant that i spray painted and glittered up. i tied it to my sholders with a scarf that ran under my arms and up behind my head. gusts of wind were my enemy that night.
this was my costume for Cabaret. obviously. i loved doing this show. my dad hates this costume. i wonder why?
this was a halloween costume that i made for a costume contest that was being held my job. at the time, i worked for a lumber company from which i was fired. i went as a peacock. the tail was a pair of modified angel wings that i got from the party store. i then bought over 200 peacock feathers from ebay which i hand sewed to the wings. then i reinforced the feathers with hot glue. i sewed the blue spraklely fabric to a corset that i alread owned and wore a little blue dress underneath. i did my make up as if i were wearing a mask and covered myself in glitter. the costume cost me a little over $200 to make. i won a $25 gift certificate to wal-mart. and i was fired. oh well. this was my wonderful costume for Suessical. 60 pounds of feathers, sequins, and fabulousness. i played Mayzie La Bird and that costume was one of the coolest things i've ever worn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl, you are beautiful and I love, love, love all of your costumes and your sexy ass in them. You are one hot woman and Mike is a lucky man.

Love you,

Bear