Wednesday, February 13, 2013

May the yarn be with you

I just got home from work and slipped into my jammies and put on one of my many go to films to help me unwind. Star Wars. Whenever I plan on a night of marathon knitting, I usually choose the old standbys... Star Wars, Back To the Future, Lord of the Rings... I could go on. But I am struck as to the amount of people who have a deep passionate love affaire with sci-fy/fantasy. And many of those actively choose to express their fanaticism in crafts. Just look on Etsy or Pinterest to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes (plan on spending several hours because, seriously, if you can dream it up, someone has probably already made it and is trying to sell it to other nerdlings).

I, myself, have grand aspirations of knitting a 3' taun taun, which will have a stomach pocket that will pooch out and look like guts. Aside from the taun taun, I have already made several fan crafts based on True Blood, and Himself has asked (begged) me to make him a Jayne hat from Firefly. Currently, I'm working on a sweater that is based on Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold from Once Upon A Time. And don't get me started on Dr Who. I'm going to confide in you... 93% of my knowledge of Dr Who comes from listening to my whovian friends and reading memes online. I have only seen three episodes and I am completely hooked but seeing as my local library only carries the specials and I just can't bring myself to watch The End Of Time 1&2... David Tennant will live on as my first and only Doctor. For those of you who have no idea what I have just said, I beg your indulgence. But those whovians are a damned creative bunch.

I wonder if any of the stars who work on these various films take part in any of the crafts. I mean, isn't it nice to think that Emma Watson decided to follow in Hermione's footsteps and knitted hats for her Harry Potter cast members. Or that Granny on Once Upon A Time really can knit and made Ruby's red beret or that Robert Carlyle can really spin (he can't. I sure as hell love to teach him... Course I can't spin worth a damn so... there's that). I wonder if they are flattered or just creeped out when fans approach them at Comic Con wearing and/or presenting them with handmade homages to their characters. I would love to go to Comic Con as Molly Weasley wearing my handcrafted costume and then go the next day as Dolores Umbridge in her pink houndstooth poncho, knitted by yours truly!

I don't know if this upswing in openly geeky people is because The Big Bang Theory made it cool to be a nerd or if, with the cyber age, everyone realized that we are all just big ol' nerds, regardless if we admit it or not. I'm glad for it though. It's nice to be able to let my geek flag fly and not worry about freaking out the normals too much... Not that I ever let it stop me before.

No comments: